Following are a collection of links and reference documents that may be of interest or help to anyone curious about watches, their use, and their history. We hope to expand this section in the future with more information that is fun and useful to the watch collector. If you have suggestions for content, please feel free to let us know!
PM Time Service Pages:
- Watch Selector - Our step-by-step guide to help you narrow down our product offerings and find the right watch for yourself or as a gift.
- "How To Wear" Guide - Our guide, with examples and photos, on how to wear our various styles of watches and watch accessories.
- Watch-Related Reference Books - Excellent resources for those interested in particular watch companies.
- Serial Number Production List - A table of serial numbers and years of manufacture from American watch makers.
- Watch Winding, Setting, & Opening Instructions - Instructions (with photos) for setting & winding various types of mechanical watches.
- Pocket Watch Sizing & Watch Chain Weight Charts - A numerical and graphical chart of the different sizes of watches you will find on our site, plus a table of pocket watch chain weight classes.
- Abbreviations & Glossary - A list of the abbreviations we use in our descriptions and a glossary of terms.
- Horology Organizations, Associations, and Directories:
NAWCC - National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
- Horology - The Index - An extensive collection of horological resources, including links and information about various watch companies.
- AWCI - American Watchmakers-Clockmakers Institute
- National Watch & Clock Museum Virtual Tour - Online galleries and exhibits, courtesy of a partnership with the Google Cultural Institute.
- NAWCC - National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
- Educational & Reference Materials:
- Pocket Watch Database - An ever-growing listing of movement grades and serial numbers to aid in pocket watch identification.
- "How A Mechanical Watch Works" - A short (3 minute) animated video that shows the inner workings of a mechanical watch movement.
- Wikipedia - Pocket Watches - While still containing some ambiguous information (as of 2013), this is a wonderful overview of the history of the pocket watch.
- "Time Terms" - A list, compiled by the NAWCC, of common horological terms and their definitions.
- Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks - An extensive collection of different hallmarks, with short histories, from around the world.
- The Black Tie Guide To Vintage Evening Accessories - An article on gentlemen's accessories that includes watch fobs, watch chains, and key chains.
- Other Interesting Finds and Manufacturer-Specific Resources:
- ElginTime Watch Blog - An online journal, written by Jeff Sexton, detailing the process of vintage Elgin (and other manufacturers) watch repair and restoration.
- Gruen Watch Company History - An excellent and comprehensive history of Gruen, written by Paul Schliesser.
- Hamilton Watch Restoration - An online journal, written by "Handy" Dan Keefe, containing information and photos regarding vintage Hamilton watch repair and restoration.
- Hamilton "How A Watch Works" Video - A 19-minute vintage film from the Hamilton Watch Company explaining the inner workings of a mechanical watch. Includes a helpful display of a large-scale model of the gear train.
- Hamilton "What Makes A Fine Watch Fine" Video - A 20-minute vintage film (which starts at the 4:05 mark to skip the introduction) from the Hamilton Watch Company showing their process of watchmaking.
- Omega's "A Journey With Time" Video - A short film, produced by Omega, detailing the company's history with timing duties at the Olympic Games, as well as their current technological and logistical involvement.
- Patek Philippe Museum Video - A quick tour, hosted by Sotheby's, of the Patek Philippe Museum in Geneva. Featured are some extraordinary timepieces and some interesting facts on the history of the company.
- "Timepiece" - A thoughtful video on independent watchmaking & the craft associated with horology, featuring some good watch shots and great quotes from the watchmakers (Philippe Dufour & Vianney Halter).
- "A Matter of Timing" - An interesting one-page article on the subject of pocket watches from The Denver Post (07/11/76), by J. Norman McKenzie.